The annual Safari Challenge was enthusiastically greeted by the contestants on the Saturday of the Easter weekend.
This year the challenge was made even more special, and difficult, because the Nhlaralumi was in full flow when contestants assembled at the start.There was tangible hype and excitement in the air, huge anticipation of events to come
Ntsiri had kindly offered to host a portion of the route, but this leg was unfortunately cancelled before the start for logistical reasons. However, as water levels subsided during the day, contestants were invited by Ntsiri to sample this route after the event prize giving took place. Thank you Ntsiri, and especially to Mark Griffiths for his time spent with event organisers prior to the big day.
Studying the 2017 challenge sheet, the environmental and biological questions require some knowledge and thinking about, and this is hugely educational for those who love the bush and wish to learn more about Mother Nature.
Thank you to John and Des Fuller in Bungalow # 42 and all their course marshals for their tireless efforts, detailed planning and incredible organising to coordinate an enjoyable outing. Thank you to all the contestants and congratulations to Ingwelala Bungalow # 135 who took top honours!
The Safari Challenge article will appear in the June 2017 edition of the ‘Leisure Wheels’ magazine; it will be available in most shops from the third week of this month (May 2017).
Thank you so much to all the sponsors were incredibly generous and are listed as follows:
- Bridgestone S.A. – Guthrie Blaine – a set of Firestone Wilderness tyres for 1st prize overall.
- Leisure Wheels – Danie Botha – Sponsoring a full article, plus filming. Filming will appear on Ignition TV in September.
- Briza Publications – Elsa and Gwen.
- Chrinica – Joanne – Bungalow 58.
- Belgrow Trees & Nursery – Paul Da Luca.
- Parliament Restaurant – Shayne Holt.
- Coalition Pizza Experience – Shayne Holt.
- Nandos – Mark Radomsky.
- Pick ‘n Pay – Hoedspruit – Natasha.
- Mimosa Technologies (Pty) Ltd – Rulene.
- Venture Plastics – Geoff Watson – Bungalow 97.
- PDA Solutions - Tree & Bird Apps – Dianne.
- Cedar Solar – Anton.
- Hawker family – Bungalow 39.
- Adriaan and Sonet Genis – printing, laminating and general overall planning.
- Retief and Desire – photos – Bungalow 86.
- The marshal team of 10. Also, the recovery team under Mark Shaw.
- Ingwelala Board and Staff, the whole fine team.