Please note: The full Reserve Report is available on the Downloads page.
Chris Mayes reflects on life at the Reserve at the start of Spring 2020, click here to read.
Roads & Tracks
Clearing of roads from elephant impact continued when time permitted. During the reporting period the following road verges were trimmed back and damaged vegetation removed:
- Goedehoop: Oxpecker Road, Hoopoe Loop, Wedge Boundary Road through to the Hammerkop River, Hammerkop Road through to Howard’s Hope, Southern section of Goshawk Road.
- Argyle: Birdhide Road, Argyle Boundary Road, Reservoir Road, Termite Road, Buffalo Drive through to Timbavati Crossing
- The airstrip surface was checked weekly and the condition noted in the register.
- Elephant droppings and minor vegetation removed from runway surface.
- Repairs were on an ad-hoc basis, as and when required, throughout the month, because of buffalo and giraffe breakages.
- The cement cone/pyramid construction is underway. 1855 pyramids were constructed in week one.
Bomas, Hides and Picnic Sites
- The Platform Solar pump was replaced.
- Repairs were made to the flue on the Eco-Loo at Howard’s Hope.
- No incidents to report.
- 1 x Puffadder
- 1 x Natal Spurfowl
- 4 x Tree Squirrels
General Fire risk management
The early rains have reduced the high fire risk.
- All firefighting equipment checked and tested on Sundays.
- X 2 tractors available to assist with fire-fighting (x2 water drawn carts).
- X 1 “Bakkie-Sakkie” serviceable and responsive on a “first call” basis.
- X 20 fire beaters and and x 4 knap-sack sprays in good working order.
- X 2 “frog pumps” fully operational.
- Fire extinguishers annual servicing scheduled in October.
The following graph shows the monthly Eskom Usage (Kwh) for Ingwelala.
Vehicles and Workshop
- The general fleet and static plant maintenance is 100% compliant with the servicing schedule.